The Rainbow District School Board supports a dress/appearance code based on modesty, civility, health and safety in order to set a tone conducive to learning as well as being acceptable within the broader community.School council members review and approve this code.
1. At Markstay Public School the following criteria will be observed:
- Students will dress in an appropriate manner for regular classroom programs which reflect their work place.
- Clothing must be appropriate to the school setting, activity and season.
- All clothing must be free of offensive or sexually suggestive slogans, vulgar language, messages which would be demeaning to any other person or group of people and visual representations of violence or substance abuse.
- Advertisements for beer/liquor is not acceptable school attire.
- Clothing must not be shorter than mid-thigh at finger-tip length.
- Tops should be long enough as to not reveal the midriff when arms are raised.
- No crop tops, halter, tops with spaghetti straps or tube tops.
- Ripped pants exposing an inappropriate body area are not allowed.
- All hats and head coverings should be removed upon entering the school barring medical and religious exemptions.
2. Students will dress appropriately for the activity.
- Gym clothing will include active wear and gym shoes must have non marking soles.
- All jewelry must be removed before participating in physical activities.
3. Students must wear footwear at all times.
- Pupils are encouraged to have a pair of shoes for inside use only.
- Gym shoes are acceptable.
- Flip flops are discouraged due to safety.
4. Students should present themselves in an appropriate manner and observe the following:
- Personal hygiene products should be applied at home or in the school washroom.
- Aerosol cans are not to be used at school.
- Make-up is not to be applied during class time.